Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wishing and Hoping...My Bucket List

Starry-eyed how can I not take up a 'tag' from you. Her blog is one of my favourites - for her simplicity, straight from the heart talk, for the stuff she has done in her personal and professional life ( I dream of it - someday I hope I can!).

So here goes my bucket list:
To do:
1) Spend the last chapter of my life doing social service for kids – teaching or funding their education. No child deserves to lose the right to his/her education, no matter what the circumstances. If we educate them, we educate our next generation.

2) Build my own library - Books, music and movies. A must have. I’ve laid the first brick of its foundation.

3) Start a nice homely restaurant. A small one – no branches & no expansion. One that serves your simple home made delicacies, the original recipes of my family – grand mom, mom, mom-in-law, sisters and aunts.

4) Retire at 50 in Goa. I want that dream house so badly – a small bunglow by the beach. Spend the rest of the life hassle-free amidst nature with my adorable GUY.

5) Have kids – Yes it is a must in life. That little one changes everything about your life – it is much needed.

6) Adopt – I want one of my own and adopt another. I so do believe in it.

7) Travel – Europe, USA, NZ, Australia, HK, Bali, Maldives, Hawaii, Brazil, South Africa, Kenya. I’ve made plans and cancelled them but I need to visit these places before I retire. The beauty of earth needs to be explored not just watched in photographs

8) Catch a cricket match live @
a. Lord’s – England
b. Sydney Cricket Ground – Australia
c. Johannesburg – South Africa
d. Eden Gardens – Kolkatta, India
e. Chepauk – Chennai, India

9) Start our own venture. Be my own boss and keep my company clear of the “corporate culture”. How, when, what, why – no answers found yet –hence no action taken!

10) Try and learn the maximum I can – Cooking classes, Creative writing, Reiki, Classical Dancing, Salsa, till the day I breathe my last

11) Publish my recipe book - I've inherited it from my granny and mother, I do a good job of it!

12) Own a cricket column in a magazine or newspaper - Wishful thinking I know, but what the heck!

The journey so far:
1) I’ve been a good daughter to my parents – It’s the most satisfying feeling.

2) I take pride in my friendships – The ones I’ve nurtured and built.I’ve been true and loyal to each one and loved each one dearly,I still do.

3) Together with MDH, we both have not let my mom or in-laws struggle again in life – Their smile of content and hearts swelling with pride are priceless and remain my most treasured possessions.

4) Been a good mentor to my younger cousins, nieces and the next gen. I feel proud and happy when they seek my advice; even more when their parents set my example before them. The kiddos hate and love me at the same time:-)

5) Had my cricket articles published on the internet and newspapers, made it through ‘Harsha ki Khoj’ – Small things that maybe inconsequential when compared to achievements of others but, they still make me beam with pride.

6) Did a fair job at my studies and career, made it to the best colleges and to the best companies – Fairly happy about that.

7) Never thought I’d get back to dancing after I quit grad school – I’m proud I gave my first Kathak Performance last month. I gave Bharatnatyam performances on national TV at aged 6 and 9. I was the youngest in my batch then; I still regret the fact that I never pursued dance seriously.

8) Got my Driving License in Dubai a year before MDH got his. Drove him around – played the official chauffer without complaints; he was so proud of me. I still continue to be the official chauffer for my wonderful ‘Girl Gang’ here! Always wanted to own a SUV since I stepped into Dubai. Our first car is my big baby – my mini-dream come true.

9) MDH and I’ve done our small bit in helping a friend achieve his dream. His journey has just begun but every little achievement of his makes us proud – It’s like we are living his dream! I hope one day he will make the world his own.

10) Got a chance to interact with my only idol till date thanks to MDH – I’ve still preserved his mail in my inbox.

11) I've been extremely clear about the principles I’ve been brought up with, no conflicts there ever. I have never compromised on them and I know that sticking to them will pay-off, may be a little late but it will. Ethics come first, everything else follows.

12) My inner strength amazes me every time I’m shaken up. I have realized that I’m bloody strong & independent – that confidence helps me tackle anything and everything that I face in life.




P.S: Some amazing bucket lists from some terriffic bloggers I've met recently:

14 comments:

Nita said...

Great tag. Will do it this week! :) Thanks for the tag. I haven't done a tag in a while actually, although used to do them regularly at one time. I guess it was laziness. I hope my previous 2-3 taggers don't kill me after I do this tag! :)

hitch writer said...

Great Tag !!

Loved reading the wish list !!

add Newlands, Capetown & Waca at Perth to the list !!

wouldnt we love watching Veeru cutting and Sachin hooking Lee on that pitch !!! ah !! wishful thinking !! eh.. !!

and you interacted with Harsha !!!!!!! sooooper !!!!!!

starry eyed said...

*jaw drops*

You've accomplished a lot, woman! *sobs over the Kathak n Bharatnatyam bit* I mean... cricket articles!!...and of course you should have that column...go for it:)

And yes, I know which one you referred to...you will do it...positive intentions always manifest!

And yeah...the thrill of a real cricket match...watched one in Bangalore (10 years ago) and almost died of delight!

Happy travels!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting tag! I would love to do it, I still have some tags waiting to be done :) Tags are a lot of fun and give a glimpse of the person behind the blogger...

You sound like a confident person - I feel this kind of confidence comes from living by the rules we truly believe in. I feel when we really want something we always get it. So just want it enough... from your heart and you will publish your recipes, travel, adopt a baby (nothing can be better than this)..

You are the good example in the family? Then here we have this in common :)

Minal said...

@nita: please go ahead - I'm waiting to read it!! If you do this tag no one will kill you trust me, they'd be wanting to read more from you!!

@starry-eyed: Now you are embarrassing me lady! Have u seen your accomplishments:-)) I did not earn from any articles of mine - so next time I want to:-)) I loved that bit - died of delight - I know exactly what you mean!

@Hitchwriter - You read my mind, those were on the list cut them short - we only get one life and too many things to do:-))Aha the site of Veeru and Sachin thrashing Lee - looks unlikely now what with Lee considering retirement from tests! I did not meet Harsha but interacted on mail.

@IHM: Thanks for the lovely words and the encouragement! Please do take up the tag - would love to read yours knowing how interesting your views are!

Sands said...

what a lovely list Minal! Am impressed :)

Anonymous said...

Woohhh, that's quiete an achievemnet already and there is still more left!!!
You know Minal, I secretly admire u for the way u are..you are one hell of a lady!!
I identify with ur first and seventh wish list.
May all ur wishes come soon!!

Swapna

Minal said...

@sands: thanks do I need to reciprocate??? you already know that don't you - that all your posts impress me! Glad to have met such awesome ladies!

@swapna: Aww u flatter me! Now where is yours - go ahead write one , start the blog! You have the knavk to write well!

hitch writer said...

How I wish Lee would retire from IPL, T-20 & ODI's and play tests !! sigh...

I met Kumble last month !! he interviewed me.. ;)

thanks to all bloggers who voted for me !!! :D

Minal said...

@hitchwriter: I agree completely, tests should always be a priority but not all think the same:-((
You got interviewed by Kumble WOW!!!! Details pls.!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tag :) First time on ur blog, so shud add, lovely blog :)

Nice to read about u... also its a pleasant surprise to see a girl sooooo interested in cricket :) Lovely to know that :)

Minal said...

@Nova: Welcome :-)) Thanks for the lovely words! Keep visiting!

Vivek Rao said...

Nice post! Can relate to a few of the items in your list...

You shd defi build ur library yaar; during school and early college, i used to go hungry most of the day and use my lunch money to buy second hand books at kings circle... I really treasure my book and movie collections.

My daughter has changed my life so much! It is absolutely wonderful. So when are you guys havin one??? :-)

Even rashmi wants to adopt our second one...

Why dont you seriously put in efforts towards having a cricket column in a leading mag/npaper? You write so well, and you obviously know your cricket. It can really happen sooner than you think...

Minal said...

@vivek: aha the joy of buying 2nd hand books! Just last week amit and I picked up comics collection about 80 odd: marvel comics, archies, star trek!
Well we would want a kid anytime now:-))
About that cricket column, not that easy but will try:-))